Sunday, August 31, 2008

What's with that name?

People often ask how I picked my kids names. I wish I had an amazing story for each one but I really don't. Their middle names tend to have more meaning with the exception of Scottlynn, as you will see later. We also have many nicknames for each kid in our family. Those might be more interesting stories.

With Christian, we just liked the name. Of coarse it has a great meaning, follower of Christ. His middle name is Kent, the same his dad's and grandpa's middle name. His nicknames are "Chichy" (chi-chee), "Chicheroni","Chich","bubba"(by his mom only), but mostly "C". When Kennedy was little she couldn't say Christian so she called him "Chichen", hence all the variations of "Chich"

I just loved the name Kennedy. That's it. It is just a great name. Her middle name is May named after her amazing mother who shares the same middle name. Her friends mostly call her "Kenny" (thanks Mr. Bradford), but we call her "Tinny bones" (Gary made up the song from "Dem bones, dem bones, dem Tinny Bones". Weird, I know), "Kendy", "Kendy Lou Who", "Kendy Cakers" but mostly "Ken". Occasionally she is called the dragon queen but not so much lately, thank goodness.

Scottlynn actually has a good story behind her first name. Her grandmother's maiden name is "Scott" and I have always loved the "lynn" names. So we just thought of "Scottlynn" and fell in love with it instantly. Her middle name is Paige which I just loved. Her nicknames are "Lady Bug" (When we told the other kids I was pregnant we used this stuffed lady bug that you could put baby lady bugs in its tummy to explain it to them. The entire time I was pregnant they told people that I had a lady bug in my tummy. This was her nickname before she was even born.),"Lotty Bug","Lotty Lou", occasionally "Rotlynn", but mostly "Lotty".

Again, I wish I had a great story but I just loved the name Boston. His middle name is Tom. This is a very special name to me. My grandpa was named Tom, actually we had a hard time finding out what his real name was when he died. I think it was actually John Miton, anyway, he joined the marines as Tom, Married as Tom, filed taxes as Tom so that is his name to me. I thought it would be special to have a great grandchild named after him with the official birth name. My grandpa Tom has always been my hero. He gave his life to save another person and that is the ultimate sacrifice. Boston's nicknames are "Zubzie", "Zububzicle", "Booger", "Bossy" but mostly "Boss".

We also call them "Eennie" (Christian, because he is such a runt), "Meanie" (Kennedy, for obvious reasons), "Mine'ee"(Scottlynn, really just because it is the next word in the phrase, she is actually very good at sharing), and "Moe" (The kids say because he is like "Moe" on The Three Stooges).

3 comments:

Funny Farmer said...

I love your kids and their names and the stories. Some of my kids' names were just because we liked the name. Actually - all of them were. Dang. I have no cool stories at all about my kids' names. Maybe that's why I just tell stories on myself instead.

Zach and Sarah said...

I loved your post--in fact I will be copying it soon and doing one for my kids' names. Hope you don't mind:-)

Britt said...

What a fun post!