Sunday, June 15, 2008

Living proof the Book of Mormon was written for our day.

Often times after reading the scriptures its seems as though those stories are so far in the distance and have little meaning to our life now. However our family is learning a great deal of how to relate these stories to our everyday life. Not to say that our scripture study is the prime example of spirituality. It is usually the five of us (that is when Gary is actually home long enough to join us) trying to figure out the deeper meaning while Boston is jumping over us on the couch as we all fight to share the same blanket. The kids think it is sooooo funny to say "Neigh" every time the scriptures say,"Nay". For example; in 2 Nephi 31:19 ".....Behold I say unto you, Neighhhhh; for ye have not come thus far save it......." and so on.
Our family's focus this summer (and always really) is on being kind to one another. Well the other day all the kids were playing in the basement and Christian and Kennedy started fighting so Scottlynn immediately got down on her knees and began to pray right there in front of them. I must admit the scene would be a bit amusing. They of coarse had to burst into laughter and ridicule her immediately. So then we sat and talked about how Laman and Lemuel did the same thing to their younger brother Nephi and the story didn't end so good for them. They should have followed the example of the younger sibling's righteousness. It was a great lesson except for the fact that Christian and Kennedy just cannot stop laughing and I am not sure Gary and I helped much either in that situation. I guess Scottlynn will be an example to all of us. Christian actually said he wouldn't mind being a little tanner. Let's just hope the Lord gives us a little more time to get the full meaning.

2 comments:

Funny Farmer said...

"Christian actually said he wouldn't mind being a little tanner."

So Christian is a Laman wannabe, huh?

Yikes.

Although, I see an awful lot of myself in Laman and Lemuel too. It's not a fun thing to contemplate. Maybe I need to read that story one more time.

Sara Liechty said...

Scottlynn is such a good example. What a good story. It's story I'm sure the kids will remember and enjoy for many years.