Sunday, November 1, 2009

And It Came To Pass

I was just thinking about where I was on Halloween a year ago compared to this year.


One year ago I was sitting with my very sick son in the hospital. Christian had his appendix burst the week of Halloween and we spent six days in the hospital. I was sleeping on a cot in his hospital room with a bad case of Plantar Fasciitous. Christian was sad because he had his costume all planned to wear my black leather biker jacket and go as a biker for Halloween. Very tough and great way to impress the girls.


This year he didn't quite pull together his costume. He was going to go as a kissing booth closed due to the Swine Flu outbreak. But five minutes before the kids were leaving to trick or treat he still had nothing. A couple of years ago I went as a Gypsy and told him he could go as that (half joking of coarse). He thought it was a great idea and 5 minutes later he was in a skirt, make-up, jewelry, and had long gray hair.


I dressed up too. I was a pirate. So together we made a cute couple.


Last year I my heart was filled with prayer. Prayer that my son would get better and so much gratitude for good doctors and medical advancements. Prayer that I would be able to hold the barf bag for my son and not throw up myself. Prayer that the tiny baby growing inside of me would thrive and grow. Desperately praying that I would not have to go through another miscarriage. Prayer for my husband who was home with Strep throat and a high fever on Halloween. Prayer for my other three children who were shipped off with friends to trick-or-treat. Prayer that by some miracle I could pay all the medical bills that I had coming in my future. Little did I know they would only get bigger.


This year my heart is filled with prayer too. Gratitude for FIVE healthy kids. Grateful for a beautiful healthy baby who got to be a ladybug for Halloween. Grateful that I am healthy and feeling good. Grateful to have a wonderful husband who has held my hand the past almost 15 years and held me up the past year. Gratitude that my kids could go trick-or-treating with their dad this year and I could be home and answer the door for all my cute dancers and primary kids.


As for medical bills, they did indeed get bigger. Boston had a cyst in his neck removed last winter and this summer Christian had to have a hernia operation. Then there are of coarse the bills from having this beautiful baby. All I can say is thank goodness for payment plans. I just keep remembering, this too shall pass.
For sure, this year is much better than last year. Maybe the best Halloween I have ever had. And though I wouldn't want to do it again, I can see how much these trials have changed me. The time I spent in the hospital brought me so much closer to Christian. Obviously I am closer to my Heavenly Father for going through these trials. Am I more grateful for this baby than I was for my others? I dont think so but I have never taken having a baby for grantid. It is a miracle any time a baby makes it here. I am finding joy in the simple things. I recognize that I am truly blessed and that my Heavenly Father loves me.
Happy Haloween.




3 comments:

Zach and Sarah said...

I loved your post. They touched my heart:)

OldBoatGuy said...

You are a blessed lady. An elect lady. Thanks for being my daughters freind. Arlon

Funny Farmer said...

This is a great post! Indeed there is a lot to be grateful for, both then and now. God is good to us, even when circumstances are challenging. Love ya, kid. ;-)

p.s. - the word verifier says "granni". No lie. :-o