Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wonder Woman is laid to rest.

Okay, I've had a couple of friends express concern that I have not posted in a while. I used to post several times a week and now....not so much.

Well here is the reason.

I am a person that runs off anxiety. I can't sleep, I can't sit still, my mind and body race both day and night. This is a very productive way to live, because I get by on as little as 3 hours of sleep and still feel great the next day. During the time that most people waste on sleep, I am cleaning, blogging, reading, paying bills, working on dances, and doing anything else that needs doing. (And no. I am not one of those MethMoms. !)


The down side to all this anxiety and useful productivity is that I tend be overly emotional and highly irritable. I become more demanding and want to bite everyone's head off. Hm. Imagine that.


This summer my anxiety seemed to be at its worst. I was very productive, but I was also very stressed out. I know this isn't a healthy way to live, and it's not something I chose, my body just chose it for me. So, during the summer I started working on my
thought distortions. I realized I even had thought distortions. I took the Burns Depression Test and was shocked to learn that I was apparently extremely depressed. I also took the Burns Anxiety Test and found my anxiety level to be through the roof. That one was not as big a shocker, but I was somewhat alarmed at how very high I scored. Anyway, so I have been working on my thought distortions since then. This has been helping me sleep a little better at night and my anxiety started improving too.

Then recently, a favorite neighbor recommended that I take Melatonin to help with sleep. This idea of a natural remedy was enticing, because I don't like the way sleeping pills make me feel. I asked my doctor and he thought the Melatonin might actually help with the anxiety too. It seems to be working okay other than, now I am like normal people.



Agh!


So I am not racing a million miles an hour all day. I no longer have an extra 4 or 5 hours a night to be super productive and efficient. If I have a night where I don't sleep good, I pay for it the next day.


I am struggling to keep up with the cleaning, cooking, and laundry. Then of coarse there is the 8 dance classes I teach each week, the costumes I have to plan, the dances I have to choreograph, the recital I have to pull off. Don't forget the children one on one time, hubby time, and what ever happened to personal time? Oh! And I started a garden this year for the first time...although it really isn't too much work. Still, I am just having a hard time keeping up suddenly. I have to live like normal people and I am used to living like Wonder Woman.


So in the adjustment, a few things had to take a back seat. My kids still want dinner (imagine that) , people keep wearing clothes that need washing and my dance students keep showing up at my house so blogging got the boot.

I really love blogging. I want to blog. I think of blog posts often, but I just don't have the time to pull it all together and get it done. Dance sort of runs me over this time of year. This is when I have to get all the costumes done for the whole year. I have to finish up the dances I haven't finished choreographing yet. I already need to start cutting music for spring and choreographing those dances. Teaching dance is something I love but admittedly, it is extremely stressful.

Okay, so in all, my message is this. I am good! I am fine! I am adjusting to just feeling like everyone else and still wondering if this is how everyone else feels. Maybe the Melatonin is not quite right. I don't know. I'm still figuring it all out. Don't show up to help clean my house or make me dinner. I have it under control, I just don't have time for blogging. In fact I am working on a really funny post that will be out as soon as I have a second to make it really great.

Okay so my kids are having a nervous break down that I am on the computer. Blog away. I still check in to read your blogs now and again. I love your blogs. Keep posting...for me.

4 comments:

Sara Liechty said...

As much as I miss you blog I am so glad that you are sleeping a little more and starting to feel "normal" again! Keep up the good work! You are amazing and I am so glad that you are my friend!

Jennifer Lomenick said...

I am glad that you are sleeping and that you are realizing what is important and putting it in the right order. I too feel that blogging will take a back seat if I feel overwhelmed. I am glad that you have something to take that helps you get the rest that your body needs. Good luck and I will check back often to see if you have a post or too.

Randi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michele said...

Glad to hear everything is okay. Good luck on getting the dance recital pulled together. What day is it on this year? (Probably a week earlier than we can be there, but I'm hoping.)