Yesterday I picked Scottlynn up from dance. I took the long way home because I hate turning left onto main street with out a light. At one stop light I actually waited in the intersection until the light was red because you are never sure if those people coming at you are going to stop for a yellow light. We were then driving east. Straight.
Then everything happened so fast!
I could see a truck plowing towards an intersection where he has a stop sign and I didn't. I knew a crash was inevitable. I hit my brakes hard and turned left hoping for more of a sideswipe than a full blown T bone. All I could say was "Oh! Oh! Oh!"
WHAM!!!
I hate that sound.
It's so strange how after something like that happens you can't really think straight. It's like you are kind of paralyzed. I just remember wondering if Scottlynn was okay. Luckily she tucked in a ball right before it happened. She saw my reaction to seeing him and it was just her natural instinct to tuck. She was very scared and upset but overall in good condition. She was shaken emotionally and a bit physically but no serious injuries. Thank Heaven!
It terrifies me to think if he had hit us another foot back. It would have crushed her. I am so glad that I have always been a seat belt Nazi. The officer said that if she hadn't had her seat belt on, we would be taking her to Primary Children's.
I too, am good although quite a bit more banged up. At first I couldn't move my hand at all. There was no pain at all, in fact I couldn't even feel my arm or hand. That was kind of freaky. As the numbness wore off it was replaced by pain. I noticed my chest was slightly sore too. That would magnify as the shock wore off as well.
We were both checked out in the ER. They took x-rays of my chest, hand and foot. Nothing broken, again, thank Heaven!
I have always heard the second day is worse but I think I am doing better today. My arm and hand are much better. I put some Lavender oil on the air bag burns and they are totally healed (thanks Brooke). I do have a black and blue boob. Yep. Don't worry, I will spare you those pictures for multiple reasons.
Anyway, it hurts to do much of anything. Holding Brigg is almost impossible. I have to prop him with a pillow to nurse. Lifting him hurts my chest and he is too squirmy to hold without him banging into my chest in some way. My arm is still very sore and bruised but I can use it fine.
Here are some pics of the van.
Behind that cop car is the road I was driving on. He hit us so hard we flew to where you see the van now.
He hit the front so hard the back whipped around and hit again. I may have to see if I can rescue our BYU decals today. GO COUGARS!
I am counting my blessings today and grateful that Heavenly Father protected us. A little bummed about the van. :-/





3 comments:
It's a horrible feeling to get a text that says simply: I just totalled my van.
It is so true that it could have been sooo much worse, but dude, it's BAD ENOUGH!
I am so sorry for you and wish I could run across town and help with everything. I hope you are letting your neighbors and ward there help!
It just crushes me inside to think you guys have just been through all of that! I love you guys! I am so glad you ended up being relatively okay. What a scary thing to go through. I think the numbness could even have been a symptom of shock but who knows. Neurologically it could have even shook you up to have everything hitting your skin so hard and fast too as well as psychologically. I feel so bad that it hurts you to even hold your baby or nurse him. Was the other driver okay? What an upsetting evening! I hope you get feeling better soon and that your car will be replaced quickly. That is one of my worst fears. Being in a wreck and esp with one of my dear children in the car with me. I love Scotlynn! I hope she gets better quick too. I'll tell Kassie to keep her in her prayers. Hug!!
Bonnie
Oh Man! So grateful you guys are ok!!!! That is crazy and the worst fear.....I am so sorry you had to deal with that.. Get feeling better!
Post a Comment