Sunday, April 11, 2010

Princess Day!!! (2010)


Today may have been the best Princess Day I have had since the original Princess Day exactly 18 years ago.

Eighteen years ago today I was named Madison High School's Junior Miss in Rexburg, Idaho. There were 28 contestants and I had NO intention of winning. It was a wonderful surprise.

For the next few years I didn't celebrate Princess Day. It wasn't until several years later that I decided the day should be appreciated every year. A day to celebrate when I was young and full of talent and beauty. A day when I only answer to "Princess" or "Your Majesty". (Not Queen! Queens are old and fat and mean.) I can be heard saying such things as "Curtsy while your thinking, it saves time" and "Open your mouth a little wider!"

Most years nothing really special happens on Princess Day. Maybe a special date or something. But not this year.

This year started last night with tickets to see the BYU Ballroom Dance Company. It was a WONDERFUL show and I was especially thrilled to see them use some of the songs I have used in previous recitals. I found my prince on the Ballroom Dance Team at BYU Idaho so it seemed fitting.

Today, I didn't really get to sleep in because we have 9am church but I did do my hair curly and wore fancy jewelry and spiky high heels.

During church I told my Relief Society that it was my Princess Day and when I moved seats, THE BISHOPS WIFE, called me "Your Majesty"! It was wonderful!

So after a good drinking up of the spirit I came home where my husband cooked a fabulous lunch. :-D

Then after quickly folding a couple of loads of laundry with him I was ordered to bed by my almost 6 year old, Boston. I had a good book (Princess Academy), which Gary was willing to hold open for me to read but ended up being a bit distracting so I held it myself. He brought me a bowl full of candy to snack on while I read. I didn't even last a page and I was out like a one ton truck.

I slept for TWO AND A HALF HOURS!!! WOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!

When I woke I came out to Scottlynn holding my royal robe (made from an apron one of my little dancers made me) and a scepter she made for me, which sort of resembles an American Idol mic, and said I could beat them with it. Haha.

Then I came along this...It is three spoons of cookie dough for me, which unfortunately after candy earlier I couldn't even eat one. Of coarse I nibbled for the children's sake.

Then I was brought over to my thrown, sat down and was delivered a beautiful, hand made crown.


I was also given some perfect, warm, chocolate chip cookies.And what could be more perfect than the Twelve Dancing Princesses playing on the TV?


I checked my e-mail and had received some Princess Day wishes that I appreciate. I also received a phone call from my mom and the girls at her house wishing me a happy Princess Day.

Later this evening, I went for a walk around the neighborhood and visited with some of the common folk. The littlest duchess (Quynn) was asleep for earlier events but enjoyed the walk with us while wearing a beautiful bow complete with fur trim. (Sorry, no picture)

Now, all of the kiddo's are in bed and here I sit with some time to blog. What can be better than that?

Its weird to think it has actually been 18 years. I sure don't feel that old. I am sure girls that are competing now would look at me like a crazy old lady, and maybe I am. But today I get to celebrate my past accomplishments and I look forward to many more to come. Maybe not so many that will be published in newspapers and such but ones that mean so much in my heart. I wouldn't say Jr. Miss was the greatest accomplishment of my life, but remembering the day makes me feel young.

Happy Princess Day to me!

4 comments:

Funny Farmer said...

Your Eternal Ever-Loving Masterful Highness, thank you for gracing us with this post. I think it's hilarious what your kids did to help you celebrate! Obviously they love you to death. Long live the Princess! (at least until midnight)

The Crash Test Dummy said...

ha ha ha ha That was AWE! SOME!

Lubbed it out loud!

Marianne said...

You're funny. I want a princess day but Mark would never get on board with that.

Jacki said...

Haha. I love the picture of your kids bowing to you. Hilarious!