Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Okay okay! I give!

Try as I might to get a grip on this silly little thing called life I have decided to give up. Hm, not even sure what that means or how to go about doing that but I am sick to death of bad news. I just found out today that Boston needs to have surgery.

Now, no big worries. It is a fairly common thing and I'm not overly concerned about the surgery (hoping that doesn't somehow mean I'm a crappy mom). I am actually freaking out because we need to do it BEFORE the recital.

Aaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

This would be the same recital that I am scrambling to pull together because I have NEVER been this unprepared.

It's not just taking the time out for the surgery (which by the way can only be done on a Thursday which is when I teach 3 classes, causing me to re-arrange every one's schedules AGAIN). But he has an ultrasound appointment, a pre-op appointment,and a post-op appointment. Christian has his last follow-up appointment and I have my own Dr. appointment all before this blasted recital.

Oh! What is it for, you say? I hope this is not reflection on yet another one of my great mothering skills. I noticed oh, a couple of YEARS ago that Boston had a funny Adam's Apple. It was really high, like at the very top of his neck under his chin. I KNEW it was his Adam's Apple because it moved down when he swallowed. At other visits I simply kept forgetting to ask the doctor about his silly Adam's Apple.

So this week I took him to the doctor for nose bleeds and at the last minute remembered, "Hey, is there a problem with him having an extremely high Adam's Apple?"

"Uhhhh, well. This down here is his Adam's Apple. That, that you are talking about looks like a cyst. How long has he had it?"

"Ohhhh, only....hm. A couple of ....years?"

Ya, I am an awesome mom. Here I have been feeling every toddlers neck for two years trying to decided if it is normal and never asking the doctor about it. Come to find out, he was born with it. Ya, that means it took me 2 years to even notice it...but in my defense, that is generally the case.

So official diagnosis: It is a Thyroglossal Duct Cyst.

They will use the Sistrunk Procedure to remove the cyst as well as a portion of his Hyoid bone in his neck. For older patients it is a same day surgery but because he is so young they will keep him overnight.

If they don't remove it, this is what can happen. Gross!

So now for the silver lining, Boston is on the same deductible as Christian so we have already met it. And we already know all the nurses so I am hoping it will be a pleasant reunion.

In the mean time I am floundering. It will be a miracle if I can pull this off at all. Of coarse then there is spring. Ya, I need 14 to 16 songs cut, 8 dances at least partially choreographed all by the first week of January. I still haven't set up Christmas (I know what you are all thinking but this is the FIRST year we have not set it up the week after Halloween. Gary is completely depressed over it.) I have Thanksgiving to put on, oh, and Christmas shopping...what a joke. Maybe I'll just steel some hospital gowns and that can be our Christmas pajamas. Ha ha.

Okay, speaking of getting work done I need to go re-do the entire finale so the kids can learn it in one week. Glad I worked so hard on it just to change it all two weeks before.

Okay, ready to tackle life again. Well, not really but what choice do I have. What choice do any of us have? Okay, happy happy happy.

14 comments:

Funny Farmer said...

So. What can I do to help?

I am also quite sure there are one or two people (haha that's a joke - more like 50) in your ward that would love to help. Figure out what only you can do (cutting music, choreographing, doc. appts, being at the hospital, etc), and delegate everything else. You just need to say the words and it will be done. (Hint: that's part of the giving up.)

And why the heck has Gary not done the decorating, if it is so gosh darn important to him? Give me a break.

Christmas shopping is overrated. One year when I was a kid, my sister was coming home right after Christmas, so we delayed Christmas for a week so that she would be there when we opened gifts. Somehow I survived. It's an arbitrary holiday. Let it slide if you have to.

Okay... shutting up now.

OldBoatGuy said...

I'm so sorry! But......You can handle it!!!

Jennifer Lomenick said...

Who is the doctor that Boston is seeing?

Zach and Sarah said...

Sometimes it just feels good to put it all down on paper (so to speak), doesn't it? I'm glad they figured out the cyst thing now. Those pictures were gross!
Sarah
p.s. Put me on the list of people to help. What do you need?

Sara Liechty said...

What can I do to help Amidey? This is a crazy time in life for most of us But I know that serving other people brings joy. Glad that they were able to figure out the cyst on Boston! Do you want me to do our visiting teaching this month? I think you are amazing and so glad you are my friend! You inspire me!

Randi said...

When it rains, it pours. That's how it goes sometimes. Sorry you're going thru a stressful time. ((HUGS))

OldBoatGuy said...

Amidey, two people have offered to help you. Let them. The hardest thing for me to do is to let someone help me. I know how it feels. I would much rather help someone that let them help me. As I get older. it's something I'm going to have to accept. Thanks again for the Friday night dinner. You helped Lisa!!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

OMGosh, girlfriend. How do you have time to breathe let alone blog?


GOOD LUCK, SISTA!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Anidey, way to look on the bright side about the deductible. sometimes bad things can be good when you look at it the right way.

Oh my goodness girl, talk about when it rains it pours.

And I know what you mena about the nurses being good friends. Funny how people who serve you become indespensible to you.

We were sad to have Jared's surgery at a different hospital because we didn't get our old friends back. But you can always make new one, so good news.

Hang on.

When you are going through hell... don't stop.

I seem to be giving that advice to lots of people lately, most of all myself.

And I agree let your friends help.

Prayers will be coming your way.

Funny Farmer said...

That Pat, she's a wise sage. Listen to her. Let your friends help.

Me! Me! Ooooooh Pick ME!

your word verifier says "worth". I am not kidding.

Sally and Max Brown said...

Amidey...boy, no kidding! You guys have had some serious things to deal with lately. I could definitely come down if you need something...granted, I am not as free spirited as I used to be, but I am sure I could work it out though :) Drew can be flexible. Let me know :)

Amy said...

Come what may and love it.

Laugh.

Eternal perspective.

Principle of Compensation.

Trust in the Lord.

I know it's easier to say than do. But Elder Worthlin's words will work.

I know it.

And I'll help out with anything you need.

Boston's health is more important than a recital, thanksgiving dinner, next semester's dances..... etc.

You don't have to DO everything and BE everything to EVERYBODY.

Call your family, tell them you're not hosting, they'll have to go somewhere else. And then bring your turkey bucket over here... you can celebrate a nice, stree-free Thanksgiving with us, the Wiseman's and the Teasdales.

:)

Seriously- let me know what I can do.

Coupon Person said...

Can you do the surgery after the recital...I mean he's had it for 2+ years, what's another 3 weeks?

Crazy Lady said...

Emily. Good point. We tried to do that very thing. They gave us the choice of 1 day during the month of December. We could wait until January but we have met our $1000 deductible and we still pay a percentage after that so for A THOUSAND DOLLARS I'll do just about anything. So far we are holding it together, thanks to a lot of help from good friends that is. Gary has a lot of time off of work right now too so that is a huge blessing. Yes he still has a job he just has tons of vacation he has to use before the end of the year. YAY!